Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Georgetown Technical High School


When asked to sum up my experience in Belize, I can’t help but be at a loss for words. There have been so many times that I’ve thought to myself, “I’ll remember this moment forever.” My time in Georgetown High School, and in Belize, have been 2 weeks that will forever have an impression on my heart. Today was my last day at GTHS, and the tears began rolling as I heard, “Miss, Miss, thank you for all you’ve done for us here.” I can’t explain how comforting it is knowing that I’ve helped make a difference. Regardless if it was with 1 person, or 100, I know I’ve achieved what I’ve come here to do. I’ve learned that kids will be kids, regardless of what part of the globe they may be from. All they need is love, and someone who refuses to give up on them. I’m so thankful that I could be that person for so many students here, even if it was for a short amount of time. I’m leaving Belize with a changed view of education, and the world. I can’t put into words how grateful I am for having this opportunity. I will definitely be leaving a small piece of my heart here in Belize. As my colleagues and I sang loud and proud this morning at our school assembly, “Wherever I am, wherever I go, I will always remember Georgetown Technical.”  

Morgan Tutt

Today was a day of reflection as it was my last day teaching at Georgetown Technical High School. I feel so blessed and humbled to have this opportunity to work with these students. I never imagined that students could become such a huge part of my heart in such a short period of time. Throughout working with these students I’ve learned to appreciate the small things and to not take anything for granted. I’ve learned just how hopeful and respectful the students of GTHS are. I will miss the “Good Morning Miss” and “Good Afternoon Miss” that could be heard around the campus.  I truly feel that my colleagues and I have done what we came here to do, make a difference in these students’ lives just as they have in ours. This has been an experience that I will forever be thankful for in my life. This experience has been a once in a lifetime opportunity to participate in something that is larger than myself. This week I have never appreciated education more, and I have never been more thankful to have chosen the career path I have. I will be leaving Belize a much different person than I came. A more positive, hopeful person that will continue to push for educational reform because of the students who deserve a quality education. A final thought for the week: Although I came to Belize to teach the students, they are the ones who taught me.                                                                                                          -Samantha Schmidt
 


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment