Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Teaching Day 3

By Heather Adkins

After spending my first two days at San Pablo school, I had the pleasure of traveling to Red Bank today where I spent most of my time last year.  For those who don’t know, I had the privilege of attending this experience last year as a student teacher.  The memories and lessons I gained just a year ago will impact my teaching for the rest of my career.  Traveling this year as student leader, it is hard to believe that I am gaining even more knowledge from this life-changing experience. The second I entered the airport (minus the horrible feeling of arriving late to the airport, worried I would miss the flight and quite possibly the trip of a lifetime) I had a smile from ear to ear. My first two days of teaching were spent working with the students at San Pablo, and I fell in love all over again.   Watching these children interact with each other and our teachers is a beauty beyond words.  I so excited that I will be spending the rest of my time in San Pablo
spreading my love of education and life to these wonderful children.  As I reflect on my visit today, I can’t help but think that Red Bank has a special place in my heart as well.  Visiting this village for the first time last year, I loved everything about it--the environment, the people, the school, and especially the children.  These children are some of the happiest I ever met.  There is something amazing about sitting in 100 degree weather, with very high humidity, feeling like you’re about to pass out, watching the children run fast as their legs can carry them—with no regard for the heat--wearing some the largest smiles you will ever see. I was also able to meet with some of the children I taught last year.  To my surprise, they remembered me and welcomed me with huge smiles. I took the time to talk with these children, and even walked with some of them to their homes.  Without hesitation, they grabbed my hand and we headed through the village, which was an emotional experience for me.  I am so thankful I was able to reflect on my time in the village that taught me so much.  The village that taught me the importance of appreciating everything you have, and to not focus on the material things. The village that taught me life is such a fragile and beautiful thing that should be cherished.  But most importantly, I was able to sit back and appreciate the village that taught me no matter the situation you’re in, the best way to spend it is with a smile ear to ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment